Wednesday 9 October 2013

Mid Week Treat: £1 Revlon Nail Varnish

I used to be a serial nail-biter. My nails would rarely grow to be longer than a centimetre. Even though I'm a lot better than I used to be, I still sometimes need a little incentive to keep my nails long and healthy - mainly nail polish.


When I came across this Revlon nail polish in Poundland, of all places, I couldn't resist. My nails are on the shorter side at the moment, so anything that's going to help me grow them out again is a must.


Surprisingly, there is quite a variety of Revlon shades to pick from at Poundland, but I fell for shade 320 (or 'Graceful'), a perfect greige. I usually tend to wear brighter, statement colours but I have to admit that at the moment I am being tempted by more neutral shades that offer a chic, sophisticated and expensive-looking manicure that would go with any outfit.


If I can stop biting my nails, I'm pretty sure anyone could, but just in case you were wondering, here are some of the tip top techniques I use to help stop biting my nails.

Stop Biting Your Nails For Good!

  • Get Inspired: Take a picture of your nails when they are at their shortest and imagine how lovely they would look when grown out. Gather pictures of celebrities with manicures you like, as well as DIY nail art you'd like to try when your nails are grown out. I have a pinterest board dedicated to nail inspiration, or you could cut pictures out of magazines and pin them to your drawing board.
  • When do you bite? Try to notice when it is you are most likely to nibble at your nails (for me it's when reading a book or watching TV) so that you can stay mentally prepared for it happening. Most of the time you don't notice yourself doing it (as with most habits), so if you can identify when you bite your nails, you're taking a step in the right direction.
  • Clip them down: Keep a pair of nail clippers handy at all times, and if your nails become rough and sharp, cut off the area that is causing the problem. I find it's a good idea to do this anyway at the beginning of growing out your nails to get rid of any bits you'd normally bite away. When your nails become longer, keep trimming them to avoid them breaking. Eventually, you'll be able to keep your nails long without fighting the urge to bite them.
  • Paint your nails: I've tried most things including that icky tasting varnish, but I actually find the best thing to do is just keep my nails painted, no matter how short they are. The lovely colour of them stops me from biting them, and the thought of swallowing nail polish is pretty nasty. Keep on top of your colour though - I find when my varnish gets chipped, I'm more likely to bite!
  • Moisturise: Buy a hand cream (I find the cheaper brands work just as well) and keep your hands, cuticles and nails well moisturised. When your nails get dry, they'll break easier, which can lead to more biting. If you want to go the extra mile, get some cuticle cream - it's specially formulated for cuticles and nails.
  • Get a Helping Hand! Tell whoever you're spending the day with (family, friends, colleagues) that you're trying to stop biting your nails, and ask them to shout at you if they notice you biting your nails. As well as telling you when you're biting your nails, they might even have some tips of their own to share with you!

Hope this helps! Has anyone else got any nail biting tips you'd like to share? What nail colours do you like at the moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment