Monday 2 September 2013

How to: Varsity Brooch

Hello there! Firstly, some of you may have noticed my absence for the past few days (sorry about the lack of posts!). I've had a short holiday, but more on that later.

In the back to school spirit, I thought I'd make a varsity inspired brooch. It's that time of year again, when summer is officially over, so why not make one to lift the back to school blues?

 



You Will Need:



  • A set of travel scrabble (or normal scrabble)
  • Brooch back
  • Glue

I'm using this set of travel scrabble, which I found in a charity shop. I thought it would be perfect for a project of some kind - the pieces are so dinky! You could use a standard size scrabble, but your brooch would be a lot bigger.

Your first step is deciding on your word. You could choose anything; your name, your favourite word, but I'm sticking with the back to school theme and have chosen some related words. It's best to keep them relatively short, any longer than five letters long and the brooch will become more fragile. Here's some designs I came up with:









I decided to go with good ol' DUNCE. When you've decided on your word, you'll need to glue the letters together. Put glue on the edge of your pieces to connect them with the other letters.





When they're all glued together, put glue on the reverse on your word, and attach your brooch back.





When the glue has dried, pin it on your fave jumper or a pretty dress. Top of the class!





Are you all ready for school/college/university? Let me know if you try this!

No comments:

Post a Comment