Friday 13 September 2013

Five of the Best Cat Hats

Up until a couple of years ago, I rarely wore hats. The only time I did wear hats was when the weather was so cold, it felt like my ears were going to drop off. I don't know what's changed, but recently I really like hats - I'll even wear them in summer! When the weather goes cooler and wetter, my automatic reaction is to start planning which hats I'm going to wear - they're easier than poking people's eyes out with umbrellas, don't impair my vision like a hood and hide any bad hair days. Convinced yet?

Some of the styles out this season are particularly lovely - I'm rather attracted to all the cat styles out at the moment, so here's my pick of the five best!
Sources - clockwise from top left: New Look, Asos, River Island, Net-A-Porter, Zara
 
 
There's one for every budget here, so have a little guessing game and see if you can tell which is the cheapest and which is the most expensive (I think you'll be rather surprised). If you're still a little unsure when it comes to wearing hats, here's a few tips I follow when buying hats:
 
  • Does the hat fit? - make sure it fits you comfortably and always look in a mirror to see if you like the way it looks.
  • How will I style my hair? - some hats cover the whole of your head (saviour for bad hair days) but for other hats you might have to carefully think what you can do with your hair when wearing it, or you can be left with a hat which you're not quite sure how to wear.
  • What can I wear it with? - the best hats are versatile and can go with many outfits, but some are a little trickier to style, so save your precious pennies and buy hats that already neatly fit in with the rest of your wardrobe. The easiest way to do this is to imagine four outfits you could wear it with.
  • When will I wear it? - Sometimes, you will buy hats for one off occasions (weddings, festivals, LFW), but in order to fork out a LOT of money for a hat, it would have to be something I could wear pretty much anywhere.
  • Is it fandabulous? Sometimes you will just see something you instinctively like and HAVE to have it, even if it doesn't follow the above rules. In the words of Tim Gunn: "Just make it work!"
Do you like wearing hats or do you just wear them when the weather gets bitterly cold? What hats are you wearing this season?


No comments:

Post a Comment