Monday 30 September 2013

How to: Triangular Cut Out Necklace

Rewritable CDs are annoying - you know the kind, you burn some stuff onto them and then when you need to rewrite it, you just can't (or this might just be me being computer illiterate again). Anyway, I'm left with loads of useless CDs that are useless to me as they are, but I can't bring myself to bin them all. This is a project I came up with to use up some old CDs.



Experiment with your design to come up with different patterns - the CD's iridescent colours look beautiful in pretty much any layout.


You Will Need:





  • An old CD
  • Felt (I used black, but you could use any colour)
  • Scissors
  • Glue
  • Necklace chain
  • Needle and thread

Firstly, cut up your CD into triangles. Mine measured about 2cm in height, but you could make yours bigger or smaller depending on the pattern you wanted to make.




Glue these pieces shiny side up onto some felt, and when dry, cut around the felt leaving a border of about 0.5cm. Arrange these pieces into a pattern you are happy with, and using a needle and thread, sew the pieces together.


This is the wrong side, just to show the points where I sewed the pieces together.

When all of your pieces are sewn together, sew your triangle motif onto the necklace chain in the same manner.



Aaaand you're done! Try out different layouts and shapes - I've gone for a triangular motif here, but I rather fancy trying to make a collar shape out of two of these triangles. You could even make different shapes when cutting up your CD - just try a variety of different things to come up with your own unique design.





Let me know if you try this and what design you end up with. Any other up-cycled CD project ideas?


No comments:

Post a Comment