Monday 7 April 2014

How to: Turn a Broken Branch into a Bracelet

Let me fill you in on a little secret; I am a wannabe Bohemian. In my dreams I have effortlessly long, wavy hair that flows down to my waist (or is sometimes in a fishtail plait), and I wear maxi dresses in trippy tribal patterns with a contrasting kimono thrown over top.

This isn't how I dress in real life, because: a) I don't live in LA and b) I am a naturally preppy person. Which is why, in the heat of summer, you'll find me wearing long, flippy, flower power skirts with a pair of loafers or brogues peeping out from underneath. Kind of like if Miss Marple attended Glastonbury (she'd dig Shangri-La, right?).

Broken Branch Wood Bracelet Tutorial

Broken Branch Wood Bracelet Tutorial

When I found this piece of broken branch in the garden after the windy weather of late, it somehow struck me that it would be nice to make some jewellery which incorporated some natural elements into it. It's the kind of thing that the secret boho part of me would love. This particular piece of branch just seemed to be very tactile and aesthetically pleasing. You could try other techniques, but I thought I'd share how I made this bracelet with you.

Broken Branch Wood Bracelet Tutorial

Broken Branch Wood Bracelet Tutorial

I screwed a jump screw into both sides of my branch piece. If you find this hard to do with pliers, you might need to drill a small hole into your branch to help you.

Broken Branch Wood Bracelet Tutorial

Broken Branch Wood Bracelet Tutorial

Broken Branch Wood Bracelet Tutorial

Use jump rings and pliers to attach a small length of chain to each jump screw. Check that it is the right size to fit comfortably around your wrist (or how about a necklace?).

Broken Branch Wood Bracelet Tutorial

All that remains is to then attach the fastenings of the bracelet (a clasp and an extra jump ring), and then you are finished. Easy peasy, squeeze the lemon.

Broken Branch Wood Bracelet Tutorial

You could take it further, by varnishing your branch piece to protect it, or by painting a small area of your branch piece in a bright colour (a turquoise would look especially nice).

Broken Branch Wood Bracelet Tutorial

Broken Branch Wood Bracelet Tutorial

It would look great worn on it's own for a simple statement look, or as part of a fabulous arm party. FYI, all my arm parties involve a watch of some kind, because, you know, telling the time is important to us stuffy prepsters.

Do you have conflicting fashion tastes? I'd love to hear if you try something similar!

No comments:

Post a Comment