Thursday 10 April 2014

First Time Felting

Beginner's Felting Tulip Vase

I guess I'm a little behind the times, but this week saw me try felting for the first time. I didn't know much about felting, other than that it involves needles and hot water, and that you can somehow felt knitted items as well (witchcraft?). I'll happily have a go at anything at least once, and seeing as I had some merino tops hanging around, I figured it was time to dip my toes into the world of felting.

Beginner's Felting Tulip Vase

My mum showed me how to make these adorable little tulip shaped vases, and they are surprisingly simple to make. The process involved wrapping wool tops around a tennis ball, and then rubbing each layer of wool in soapy warm water. After several layers are built up, you cut a cross through your felt, pop out your tennis ball and voila! A fluffy felted mini tulip vase.

It was a really therapeutic experience, working the felt with soapy water. Anything I can do whilst watching Pointless is always a winner, and my hands smelt lovely afterwards.

Beginner's Felting Tulip Vase

Beginner's Felting Tulip Vase

If I'm honest, I'm still a little baffled as to the science behind felting - it seems incredible that all it takes it soapy water and a little hard work to make 3-Dimensional objects. My mind is still thinking over the process, and trying to come up with different ways to utilise the technique. And I'm now desperate to try needle felting as well (watch this space).

Beginner's Felting Tulip Vase

I'm using my new creation as somewhere to keep all my hair elastics and kirby grips (seriously, where do they all go?). They would be great for trinket bowls, sweet containers, or just a really cute way to present a small gift.

Have you ever tried felting? Any projects or techniques you'd recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment