Tuesday 22 April 2014

How to: Make a Porcelain Pieces Necklace

It is no secret that I have a love of all things porcelain related. Possibly because it reminds me of drinking tea? I made this porcelain necklace last year, and it became a summer staple for me; I was hardly seen without it. So when I came across even more pieces of random porcelain in the garden, I knew I would be making something similar.

DIY Tutorial Porcelain Necklace

I used exactly the same technique as last time, except that because my pieces of porcelain were smaller this time around, I simply used more of them on one necklace. I like the kind of relaxed, boho vibe of this necklace, and can't wait to wear it with all my summer clothes.

DIY Tutorial Porcelain Necklace

DIY Tutorial Porcelain Necklace

I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said that all of these pieces of porcelain are equal. Let's face it, the one with the blue and white square pattern takes centre stage here, hands down. Keep an eye out for old, cheap second hand porcelain with a nice pattern on, as I think it is these pieces of porcelain that look the best.

DIY Tutorial Porcelain Necklace

DIY Tutorial Porcelain Necklace

As before, I used a strong glue to stick a large jump ring to the back of each piece of porcelain. It's worth using a good glue for this, as porcelain is not a glue friendly zone.

DIY Tutorial Porcelain Necklace

DIY Tutorial Porcelain Necklace

When the glue dried, I used smaller jump rings to attach the porcelain shards to a necklace chain. Play about with the arrangement of your porcelain until you come up with something that you really like.

DIY Tutorial Porcelain Necklace

DIY Tutorial Porcelain Necklace

DIY Tutorial Porcelain Necklace

This is such a simples project, but every time I do it I always love the results. Of course, the same technique could be used to make a bracelet, or simply glue your porcelain to a ring base to make yourself a really unique, eye catching ring. Now all I need to do is make myself a tea cup bangle and my life will be complete.

I'm off to drink tea whilst wearing my new necklace to celebrate. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment