Friday 9 May 2014

Free Knitting Pattern: Gingham iPhone Cosy

Free Knitting Pattern Gingham Phone Cosy

I love the look of colourful knitting, but let's face it - stranded knitting can be one hell of a knotty mess at times. So when I found this method of knitting gingham (or checks) without the need for any stranded knitting at all, I rejoiced. It is actually very simple to do, and I love the end result. It could be used for many things, but I decided to make a phone cosy (very noughties of me, I know).

Free Knitting Pattern Gingham Phone Cosy

The method involves knitting colour one row at a time, and simply slipping stitches over to create the check pattern. Sound confusing? Don't worry, I'll talk you through it. The cosy I made is suitable for an iPhone, or an iPod Touch, but you could alter the number of cast on stitches to get the size you want. I'm thinking this would also make an adorable tablet or eReader cosy too. If you alter the size, just remember that the number of cast on stitches will need to be a multiple of four, plus two (e.g. 6, 10, 14, 18...).

You Will Need:

  • 3 different colours of Double Knitting wool
  • 4mm Knitting Needles
  • A large sewing needle
To get the gingham effect, choose the colour of your wool carefully. You will need three different tones of the same colour, one dark, one medium and one light. I will refer to the different colours in this pattern as A, B and C, where A is the darkest and C is the lightest. For example, in my case A is dark blue, B is light blue and C is white. Play around with your colour choices for different effects. 

Abbreviations:
  • k = knit
  • p = purl
  • st(s) = stitch(es)
  • r = row
  • sl2sts = slip two stitches
  • ytb = yarn to back
  • ytf = yarn to front
Before we begin, a reminder that I am using British knitting terminology - they can differ from country to country, so check a conversion chart to clear things up.  

Knit side = right side

Pattern:

Using yarn B, cast on 38 sts
R1: Knit across using B
R2: Using A, p 2 sts. *ytf sl2sts, p 2 sts*, repeat this until the end of the row
R3: Using A, k 2 sts. *ytb sl2sts, k 2 sts*, repeat this until the end of the row
R4: Using B, p across
R5: Using C, sl2sts. *k 2 sts, ytb sl2sts*, repeat this until the end of the row
R6: Using C, sl2sts. *p 2 sts, ytf sl2sts*, repeat this until the end of the row
Repeat these six rows until your knitting measures 11cm from the cast on edge, finishing with a purl row. 
Now for the ribbing!
R1: Using B, k across
R2: Using A, p 2. *k2, p2* repeat until end of row
R3: Using A, k 2. *p2, k2* repeat until end of row
Repeat rows 2 and 3 of ribbing twice. 
Cast off in rib. 

Making up:

Fold your knitting in half vertically, with the right sides facing. Using a needle and thread, sew along the side and bottom of your knitting. I like to leave a small gap along the bottom, so that headphones can be plugged in through the cosy, but this is optional. Turn your knitting the right way around, and you have finished. 


Free Knitting Pattern Gingham Phone Cosy

Once you get to grips with the technique, the phone cosy knits up very quickly, and is a nice small project to do whilst watching the telly on a rainy evening. I think these would make great little gifts too, and you could make each one more personal by choosing the recipient's favourite colour.

 My dad throws all caution to the wind, and has no cover on his iPod, so I am debating whether to knit one up for him. Is it a bit feminine? It might work in more masculine colours too - how about greys or monochrome? I think I'll experiment in time for Father's Day.

Let me know if you try this, or need any help with the pattern!

No comments:

Post a Comment