Sunday 25 January 2015

Weekend #2: A Letter to the Future


This week seems to have gone by in a blur; juggling work, uni reading, and voluntary commitments with other things, has meant that I've been more than ready to embrace a couple of days of doing nothing but schlepping around home wearing a onesie. So, let the relaxation continue, as I share what I've been up to this weekend!

Egypt in Shropshire
On Friday evening I was lucky enough to get a sneak preview of Shrewsbury Museum's latest exhibition - Secret Egypt, examining the fascination the modern world has with ancient Egyptian culture. You can expect a variety of artefacts; stone engravings, amulets, wooden figurines, and a mummy (yep, complete with sarcophagus), as well as a few more offbeat items, like reproduced artefacts for use in movies, and items which have been proved to be fake. If you're in the area, and are interested in all things Egyptian (c'mon, who isn't?), then I highly recommend a visit. Oh, and stop for cake in the museum cafe too, it's amazing.

A Letter to the Future
I came across this video a couple of months ago, and it's played on my mind ever since. The concept of time capsules were huge when I was little (hey there, other 90's kids!), but due to everything becoming increasingly digitized nowadays, I don't think they're such a big deal. However, this video really made me reconsider how we store our memories, and whilst photos and belongings are important, I don't think anything could be as personal as the written word. So, I did it. I wrote a letter to me in the future, and have put it somewhere safe to open in 20 years time. I'm not going to lie - it's a little tricky sitting down to write something so personal, but ultimately it's really rewarding.

Reading List
At the beginning of the year, I promised myself that I would read more, and whilst I started off well, recently I definitely haven't been reading as much as I would like to be. So, with a quieter week ahead of me, I'm making a big effort to get through some of the books that I want to read. I'm still a good way through The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell, which I am really enjoying. The Miniaturist is also high up on my To Read list; I've heard such good things about it, so when I came across an unread copy in a local second hand shop, I snapped it up in a heartbeat.

Planning Projects
I'm going to be spending the rest of my evening preparing for a few makes which I want to do in the upcoming weeks. Most of these involve finishing off existing works in progress (ahem), but there's a couple of new projects I want to start too. I've been lusting over a Helen Moore faux fur stole for what seems like the whole winter, so when I came across some gorgeous navy blue faux fur, I knew exactly what I was going to use it for. I'll be keeping you posted on progress.

I hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment