Monday 18 August 2014

Recipe: Lemon Drizzle Custard Creams

Recipe: Lemon Drizzle Custard Creams

I wish I could come up with a snappier name for these biscuits, but when it comes to describing them, nothing quite says it like 'lemon drizzle custard creams'. Custard Creams are my all time favourite biscuit, and here I've added a twist to the British icon. The surprise is the lemon drizzle flavoured butter cream which sandwiches two biscuits together. Perfect for a mid-afternoon snack.

Ingredients (Makes Approx 28 Small Double Decker Biscuits)

  • 100g (3.5oz) Butter
  • 100g (3.5oz) Caster Sugar
  • 1 Free Range Egg
  • 275g (10oz) Plain Flour
  • 1 Lemon
For the Filling:
  • 75g (2.6oz) Butter
  • 175g (6.2oz) Icing Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Lemon Curd
Recipe:

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
Cream the butter and caster sugar together until light and fluffy. Stir in the egg.
Add in the juice and zest of the whole of the lemon (carefully remove the pips).
Gradually mix in the flour, until the mixture becomes a soft dough.
Roll out onto a floured surface, to a thickness of 0.5cm, and use a cutter to cut out biscuit shapes.
Place on a tray and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Filling:

Cream the butter and icing sugar together. Add in the lemon curd, but don't stir it in completely - ripple it into the butter cream. 
When the biscuits are cool, sandwich the butter cream between two biscuits. 


Recipe: Lemon Drizzle Custard Creams

 I created a bit of a jammy dodger effect by cutting holes in the centre of my biscuit 'lids' before baking. If you follow me on Twitter, you'll know I had a bit of a mishap when baking the first batch, although these are actually quite straightforward to make. What can I say? All I know is that I could never cope with the pressure of being a contestant on Bake Off!

Let me know if you try these!

2 comments:

  1. Hello darling! I've nominated you for a Liebster Award over on my blog, if that's okay with you! I'm really looking forward to read your answers, if you get around to do it! Have a fantastic day!
    xx

    Owlish Dreams || Lifestyle & Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete