Friday 29 November 2013

What I'm Reading: The Elements of Eloquence by Mark Forsyth

Yesterday evening, I attended a talk at a local bookshop given by Mark Forsyth on his latest book - The Elements of Eloquence. I bought a ticket on a whim, so I wasn't really sure what to expect, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Elements of Eloquence

It's always a joy to hear someone talk about something they love so passionately; it always inspires me to try and better myself. Mark's latest book asks why some phrases are so memorable, and others disappear from our memory rather quickly, looking at examples from Shakespeare, Churchill, Blake and many more.

The Elements of Eloquence

As a book-lover, this fascinates me and I can't believe I haven't thought more about the English language and how we use it before. I can't wait to dive into this book after everything I learnt last night. Maybe the effects will start to show on my writing here?


Anybody else reading this at the moment? What else are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment