Wednesday 13 November 2013

Free Knitting Pattern: The Cat in the (Beanie) Hat

See what I did there?

Grey and Black Cat Beanie Hat

Rubbish joke aside, today I'm sharing the knitting pattern for this cat beanie hat I made. Remember my post on cat hats? I've actually been working on this since then - it's embarrassing how long it takes for me to work things like this out.

I'd say the size of this hat is mediumish, but I made it a loose fit because I don't like overly tight hats that cut off the circulation to the top of your head (ouch!). If you want to make it bigger or smaller, simply add more or less stitches when casting on (just make sure your number of cast on stitches is a multiple of 10). The circumference of my finished hat is 60cm.

Ready? Lets knit!

You Will Need:
200g Grey DK Wool (Main Colour)
100g Black DK Wool (Second Colour)
50g White DK Wool (Third Colour)
Needles: 4mm
Abbreviations:Sts – stitches
K – Knit
P – Purl
Sl St – Slip Stitch
K2tog – Decrease by knitting two stitches together
Note: Knit side = right side. I'll be using English knitting terms here, which can be a bit different from the American ones.

Cast on 120 sts
Ribbing: K2, P2, continue for the rest of the row
Repeat the first row until ribbing measures 1inch

1st Row: K40sts in grey, K40sts in black, K40sts in grey (120)
2nd Row: P40sts in grey, P40sts in black, P40sts in grey (120)

This is the first two rows of the chart, continue the intarsia in sl st for the remaining 28 rows of the chart.
cat hat intarsia chart
 
Now the intarsia is complete, you can now shape the top of the hat.

31st Row: *K8, K2tog* repeat until end of row (108)
32nd Row: P across (108)
33rd Row: *K7, K2tog* repeat until end of row (96)
34th Row: P across (96)
35th Row: *K6, K2tog* repeat until end of row (84)
36th Row: P across (84)
37th Row: *K5, K2tog* repeat until end of row (72)
38th Row: P across (72)
39th Row: *K4, K2tog* repeat until end of row (60)
40th Row: P across (60)
41st Row: *K3, K2tog* repeat until end of row (48)
42nd Row: P across (48)
43rd Row: *K2, K2tog* repeat until end of row (36)
44th Row: P across (36)
45th Row: *K1, K2tog* repeat until end of row (24)
46th Row: P across (24)
47th Row: *K2tog* repeat until end of row (12)
48th Row: P across (12)

Leaving a long thread, cut off your yarn and thread it through the remaining 12 sts. Pull tight. With the right sides of your hat facing, place the side seams together so that the ribbing meets at the bottom. Sew the seams together, to form the back seam of your hat. Tidy up any loose ends. 
I've chosen a fairly minimalistic colour scheme for my hat, so it will go with everything, but use any colours you want! I want to make one in burgundy - what can I say? I just really like burgundy!
 
If you've got any questions (or spot any mistakes!) please leave me a comment and I'll try to help! Let me know if you try this - I'd love to see pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment