Wednesday 18 March 2015

Mid-Week Treat: 80 Penguin Classics for 80p


So, if you're as big a book nerd as I am, you'll have heard the glorious, glorious news that to celebrate 80 years, Penguin have released special editions of 80 of their classic books for a mere 80 pence. Crazy, huh? They are available on amazon, in Waterstones, and even in some independent bookshops, so keep your eyes peeled and your loose change at the ready! I managed to restrain myself to buying four, although I'm pretty sure that a few more will be finding their way towards my bookshelf. Read on for more details on the books I chose...

The Yellow Wall-Paper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (No. 42)

When I studied psychology at college, my tutor raved about this short story, and it's been recommended to me again on several other occasions, so this seemed to be the perfect opportunity to pick it up. This novella discusses the treatment of women during the nineteenth century, focusing particularly on the mental state of women during that time. Perhaps not the easiest read, but I think it's going to be a very thought provoking one.

Antigone by Sophocles (No. 55)

The main reason I chose this was because I'm studying Seamus Heaney's The Burial at Thebes at the moment, which is a modern day interpretation of this classic Greek play. Although reading the original is actually not a part of my course, I thought it would be interesting to be able to compare the two anyway. Going by Heaney's play, Antigone is a typical Greek classic, so I know to expect incest, gruesome deaths, and a touch of tragedy.

Anthem for Doomed Youth by Wilfred Owen (No. 50)

Wilfred Owen was born in my home town (big up Oswestry!), so naturally I had to choose this collection of poems. Anthem for Doomed Youth is the collection of poems Owen wrote during the First World War, so it's a very poignant collection to read, and includes the famous eponymous poem, as well as Futility and Dulce et Decorum est. It makes a very timely read, especially because of the centenary of the War last year.

Femme Fatale by Guy de Maupassant (No. 15)

It's a collection of short stories about Paris, so what's not to love? On a more serious note, Femme Fatale is more about the darker side of Paris and the French countryside, so is going to be a gritty, interesting read. I'm really looking forward to reading this!

You can see (and buy!) the choice of books here, in a rather fancy spinning wheel doodah (it kept me amused for far too long!). It's a fair mix of fiction, poetry, and non-fiction, so there really is something for all tastes. Expect to see my thought on these after reading them coming up soon!

Have you bought any of Penguin's Little Black Books? Any you'd recommend?

7 comments:

  1. The Yellow Wall-Paper is really good but so weird. I've read it a couple of times because my English teacher in grade 11 and 12 made me read it and I loved it. Really recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so many great reviews about it, so it's definitely top of my reading list :)

      Delete
  2. I've heard about these but I've yet to pick any up! Your choices look great, looking forward to hearing what you think of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gemma! I'd love to hear if you decide to buy any - according to my local book seller, there's some titles which haven't been printed for over 100 years, so there's some really interesting choices!

      Delete
  3. What an interesting choice of books! I've recently started reading short stories, so I think I will have a look at some of these books.
    I hope Amazon doesn't charge too much for overseas postage, so that I can enjoy their special editions too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a great range to choose from, so there's bound to be something you'll enjoy Berta! If international postage is too much, you can download the e-books from amazon from somewhere in the region of £0.49, so either way you should be able to read some of these!

      Delete
  4. What an interesting choice of books! I've recently begun reading short stories, so I think that I will look for some of the books you've chosen in the library/bookshop.
    I hope Amazon doesn't charge too much for overseas postage, so that I can enjoy the special editions too ;)

    ReplyDelete