Friday 8 August 2014

Craft Books I Love: Chloe Tells You How To Sew


Being a serial bookworm, it was a tough decision to make, but I have decided that if I could live inside a book, I would like it to be Chloe Tells You How To Sew, by Chloe Owens, please. Don't pretend you've never thought about it either (we all have). Sure, it was a difficult decision to make between some of my all time favourite books, fiction and non-fiction, but quite simply, none of them are as stunningly beautiful as this book.

First time I saw it, was in Waterstones, where I spotted it across the shop. At that point, I didn't even know what it was about, but the bright colours and retro style patterns caught my eye. When I discovered that it was a sewing book, I rejoiced. I'm a sucker for a vintage floral pattern, and there are plenty to feast your eyes on in Chloe Tells You How...  In fact, the whole book is a treat for your eyes - forget normal step by step instructions, here the sewing process for each project is illustrated in charming little comic book scenes, by a host of very talented illustrators. Pages inbetween the projects are filled with gorgeous visuals, puzzles and funny little retro style comics. If you're looking for a sewing book with a twist, then look no further.

Now, lets talk projects. If you're looking for smaller, simpler projects, perhaps to ease yourself into the world of sewing, then this would be the perfect starting place. There is a variety of really fun, kooky projects to choose from, most of them on the smaller side, and there is a mixture of hand sewn and machine sewn projects. There is a section of the book dedicated to basic sewing techniques, so complete beginners need not feel inadequate. I'd even recommend some of the projects as being good for teaching children how to sew, especially as the end results are really fun, and the process quite simple.

Even if you're a more experienced sewer, this book is well worth a look, if just for the projects alone. Some of my personal favourites are the peter pan collar, the camera case (which looks like a camera), and the 'mop top' finger puppets (definitely influenced by The Beatles). Oh, and the plushies. The plushies are to. die. for. There's a fox, a rabbit, and a bear to choose from, all delightfully kooky. The only way I can justify making one though, is to perhaps make one for my baby cousin (although who am I kidding, I really want one for myself).

A strong, retro aesthetic runs throughout Chloe tells You How..., so if you are a fan of anything with a colourful 60s/70s vibe, you are bound to fall in love with pretty much everything about this book. I know I did.

Let me know if you've read this, and any other similar books you'd recommend. Oh, and if you've ever thought about which book you'd like to live in, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment