Monday 16 June 2014

Making a Dress or Skirt Longer

How to make a dress longer

I'll just come out and say it. I am super fussy about the length of dresses or skirts. For me, the difference of a couple of centimetres is all it takes for a skirt to be too long or too short. Making a dress or skirt shorter is easy - all that is required is a simple re-hemming. But what about when you actually need to add fabric? Hmmm...

I've spoken before about this checked denim dress I recently bought. When I bought it, I knew it was too short for my liking, but the overall design of it won me over, and I purchased it anyway. However, I secretly knew that it would only be a matter of time before I would start experimenting on it, and try to rework it to make it longer.

How to make a dress longer

My original plan was to add a contrasting fabric band along the bottom of the dress. This would be an easy enough solution - all it would take would be to measure around the bottom of your dress or skirt, and cut a length of fabric long enough to fit all the way around. Sew it in place, et voila - you have a longer dress.

When I was planning this small project though, I came across this crochet trim which had been hanging about in my supplies for years (longer than a decade - oops!). At one time, it was used to make wedding dresses for Sylvanian Families. I had a light bulb moment, and decided to add the trim along the bottom of my dress. This made for a slightly more straight forward alteration, and I like the contrast of the crochet trim and the denim. Of course, if you wanted to be really fancy, you could crochet your own trim, rather than using a ready made one. This way, you would get a really unique look, as well as more control over the end length of your garment.

How to make a dress longer

An additional feature of the crochet trim, is that it weighs the skirt of this dress down, so thankfully I won't be having a Marilyn moment any time soon.

Are you fussy about the length of your skirts? Why not see what happened when I made a long skirt shorter?

No comments:

Post a Comment