Tuesday 23 December 2014

Knitting Pattern: Arachne Cabled Fingerless Gloves

Knitting Pattern: Cabled Fingerless Gloves

Okay, confession time - in my three to four years of knitting, I've only ever knit cables once. It was in my early days of knitting, and whilst I thoroughly enjoyed it (I still wear my finished cable beanie), at the time I didn't like the fact that I didn't really fully understand the mechanics behind it. I suppose I'm finickity like that. But I've recently had the desire to become reacquainted with cables for some reason, and I've been loving it. The chunkiness means that they work up really quickly, and once you know the pattern, you get into a rhythm.

After trying out a few different cable stitches, I soon got a feel for doing cables again. I made this pair of fingerless gloves by adapting a cable pattern from The Knitting Book, by Frederica Patmore (the absolute knitting lifesaver), and have been wearing them non stop for the past week. They were a joy to knit up too - quick and easy enough to do whilst watching TV. Last minute Christmas knitting? Look no further.

Info

Wool: 50g Aran yarn of your choice
Needles: 4mm (for ribbing), 5mm, Cable Needle/Double Pointed Needle

Tension:
Using 5mm needles, cast on 10sts. Work in stocking stitch for 12 rows to create a tension square measuring 6cm by 6cm (2" by 2").

Abbreviations:
St(s) - Stitch(es)
K - Knit
P - Purl
R - Row
C6F - Cable by slipping 3sts onto cable needle and hold at front of work, K3 from left hand needle, then K3 from cable needle.
C6B - Cable by slipping 3sts onto cable needle and hold at back of work. K3 from left hand needle, then K3 from cable needle.

Finished Measurement: 21 cm long/ 8"

Pattern: (Work 2 the same)

Ribbing:
Using 4mm needles, cast on 39 sts
R1 - K1 *P2, K2. Repeat from * till end of row
R2 - *P2, K2. Repeat from * till 1 st remains. P1
Repeat these two rows until ribbing measures 6cm/2" long

Body:
Swap to 5mm needles
R1 - P3, K6, P3, K6, P3, K18
R2 - P18, K3, P6, K3, P6, K3
R3 - P3, K6, P3, C6F, P3, K18
R4 - P18, K3, P6, K3, P6, K3
R5 - P3, K6, P3, K6, P3, K18
R6 - P18, K3, P6, K3, P6, K3
R7 - P3, C6B, P3, K6, P3, K18
R8 - P18, K3, P6, K3, P6, K3
R9 - P3, K6, P3, K6, P3, K18
Repeat rows 2-9 twice more to form the cable pattern.

Ribbing:
Swap to 4mm needles
R1 - K1 *P2, K2. Repeat from * till end of row
R2 - *P2, K2. Repeat from * till 1 st remains. P1
Repeat these two rows until ribbing measures 6cm/2" long
Cast off in rib

Sewing Up:
Fold right sides together, along the divide between cable stitch and sticking stitch. Sew these two sides together, leaving a space along the ribbing for the thumb. Repeat for other glove, remembering to place the thumb hole in a different position, so that the cables run along the back of both hands.

Knitting Pattern: Cabled Fingerless Gloves

The combination of Aran wool and cables make these super cozy - take that Winter! Let me know if you make these (or if you spot a mistake in the pattern!).

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! If you're looking to learn, I recommend youtube tutorials - they're a great visual guide to the basics.

      Delete
  2. Would you be able to tell me which yarn you used for this project? I've had a request for this project in just this color. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Unfortunately, it's a yarn that I picked up in bulk from a second hand shop (without any labels!). After doing a little bit of research however, it looks to me like Lion Brand's Vanna's Choice (multi) in shade Grey Marble (401) is a good match. It has both brown and black flecks, and is a light grey, like the yarn I used. Good luck with the project, and I'd love to see photos when they're finished!

      Delete
  3. A bit random, but love your handwritting!! Lovely post by the way ;)

    carlotarules.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! That's my neat handwriting - it's nowhere near as neat when I'm doing Uni work!

      Delete