Sunday 9 March 2014

Thrifty Find: Vintage Tweed Dress

I had a wardrobe clearance recently, in an attempt to simplify my wardrobe and get rid of things I haven't worn in a good while. I have good intentions, but what happens is that after a clearance, I think I have an excuse to pick up more clothes. Even so, I think I would have picked up this dress regardless of whether I had any space in my wardrobe or not.


This dress features my new obsession - check print - as well as an old obsession - pockets. I'm not sure exactly how old it is, but I think it could be handmade, only a lot better than I could ever sew anything. These photos don't do justice to the lovely fabric, which has a lovely mixture of rich colours, and has a cozy fleecy feeling. It cost me £1.99 from a local second hand shop and is possibly one of the best bargains I might have ever found.


It has one large pleat down the front, and gorgeous pockets that give the skirt a kind of tulip shape. It needs a couple of tiny repairs - a bit of darning, re-hemming and a new zip put in. Not that I mind, as I could do with the sewing practice, and at £1.99 I don't mind giving this dress a bit of TLC. In fact, I think that practicing techniques that you're not too sure about on an already existing garment can be really helpful. Not to mention a lot less daunting than sewing something from scratch. I've never inserted a zip before, but I'll let you know how it goes.

I think the man from the Salvation Army shop described it best when he said that this dress would be perfect for a Burn's Night Celebration. I've never been to a Burn's Night, but I'd love to. I wouldn't be too keen on eating haggis, but I think I could just pile my plate high with tatties.

How do you practice sewing techniques? Any tips you have on inserting zips?

No comments:

Post a Comment