Monday 10 February 2014

Why Not Try to DIY?

For once, I haven't actually got too many craft projects on the go. Apart from a piece of knitting that seems to be growing about 2cm every week, that is. So, I think some DIY inspiration is just what I need to get my creative juices flowing. I want to get back into sewing especially, but I'm open to pretty much anything at the moment. Here are some things I'm longing to make at the moment.


Biscuit Cushion
Source
I like this biscuit cushion for many reasons. The main one, is that it reminds me of those huge, oversized classic biscuits you can get from Costa. The custard cream ones are amazing. I'd love to sew a few of these in different, iconic variations. I think if you choose the right fabric, the sewing should be easy enough - sew a basic biscuit shape, and then using thread of the same colour as your fabric, use quilting techniques to add more detail. They'd look great in a café, or maybe even in your dining room.



Globe lightshades
Source
If I had a study, I know I would attempt to make these globe light shades. You can pick up modern day, plastic globes very cheaply, but I think this would look best with old-fashioned globes. So far as I can tell, you'd have to split the globe in half, and drill a hole at the top of each half to fit the light fitting. You could use smaller globes (they have had some recently in The Works), and the same technique to make lamp shades for desk lamps, or bed side cabinet lamps. If you're a keen traveller (or know one), it would be an interesting idea to use a monochrome globe, and then colour in the countries you have visited using paint.



Dandelion Seed Ring
Source
Terrarium Necklace
Source

It feels like it's been a looooong winter, so these natural jewellery pieces, containing real plants, have caught my eye. The most straight forward way to do this, would be to place the plant part of your choice into a mould, and then pour in clear resin. I've never used resin before, so I think the way I would do this would be to look for a small glass dome in a jewellery findings store, insert my plant part, and then secure in place by adding jewellery findings. I think this idea would make some great earrings, perhaps using daisies. Does anybody know where I'd find the right kind of fittings to make this with?

How do you get yourself out of a creative rut? Have you ever done anything similar to these projects?

No comments:

Post a Comment