Monday 9 December 2013

Free Knitting Pattern: Floral Fingerless Mitts

I've been knitting quite a few hats lately, and I've got plans for another one. However, I needed a break from hats - I needed a quick, simple project that didn't require much shaping or concentration. And preferably one that kept my hands warm too. This was the result.

Floral Fingerless Mitts


In summer, I live in floral prints. They are my wardrobe hero. I always miss them when the winter comes around, but with these I can still get my floral print hit. Yay!

These fingerless mitts took about 2 to 3days to make, and would be a perfect project if you're a newcomer to intarsia - the rest of the pattern is so simple that the intarsia is all you have to concentrate on.

You will need:
  • 3mm Needles
  • 3.5mm Needles
  • 200g 4ply wool in Oatmeal
  • 50g 4ply wool in light green
  • 50g 4ply wool in dark green
  • 50g 4ply wool in light pink
  • 50g 4ply wool in dark pink
Abbreviations:
  • Sts - Stitches
  • K - Knit
  • P - Purl
  • Sl St - Slip Stitch
  • R - Row
  • MC - Main Colour
  • LG - Light Green
Note: Right side = knit side.

Left Hand Start with 3mm needles
Cast on 64 sts
R1: *K2, P2*repeat until end of row
Repeat this row until ribbing measures 3cm

Change to 3.5mm needles
R1: K across
R2: P across
Knit a further 2 rows in sl st
Intarsia:
R1: K12 sts in MC, K1 st in LG, K51 sts in MC
R2: P50 sts in MC, K2 sts in LG, K12 sts in MC
These are the first two rows of the chart, work the rest of the chart (below) in the same way.
Starting with a purl row, knit 5 rows of sl st in MC
Change to 3mm needles.
*K2, P2*, repeat until end of row.
Repeat until ribbing measures 3cm.
Cast off in rib.


Flower Intarsia Chart Left Hand
Intarsia Flower Chart for the Left Hand

Right Hand Start with 3mm needles
R1: *K2, P2*repeat until end of row
Repeat this row until ribbing measures 3cm

Change to 3.5 mm needles
R1: K across
R2: P across
Knit a further 2 rows in sl st
Intarsia:
R1: K51 sts in MC, K1st in LG, K12 sts in MC
R2: P12 sts in MC, 2sts in LG, K50sts in MC
These are the first two rows of the chart, work the rest of the chart (below) in the same way.
Starting with a purl row, knit 5 rows of sl st in MC
Change to 3mm needles.
*K2, P2*, repeat until end of row.
Repeat until ribbing measures 3cm.
Cast off in rib.


Flower Intarsia Chart Right Hand
Flower Intarsia Chart for the Right Hand

To make up, fold the mitts in half so that the side seams meet and the right sides are facing. Sew the seams together, leaving a 5cm gap down the middle of each one - this is where your thumb will fit.
Turn around the right way, and you've finished! Ta Daa!

Floral Fingerless Mitts

If you want to make the gloves longer, so that they cover more of your arm, just knit a few more rows in slip stitch before starting the intarsia motif on each mitten. I don't know what flower I had in mind when designing these, but the great thing about flowers is that they can be a bit vague. Maybe they look a bit like carnations? I don't know. Experiment with colour choice to come up with a pair you like (I'm thinking these would look great in purple).

Let me know if you try this. If you have any questions, please leave me a comment and I'll do my best to help you.

Do you have any summer trends that you miss in the winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment